Translate

Wednesday, September 24, 2014

One of the most difficult things as a writer, is to accept cuts from your editor.

OK, I admit it, I have an ego when it comes to my writing.  I think every word and every sentence that I have written is important to my reader.  If it wasn't crucial, why would I have written it anyway?  However, my editor sees things from a different light.

I am the kind of writer that likes to ensure that my readers have enough background information regarding certain scenarios in my books.  I like to describe how a certain situation arose, and give intimate details of my characters, so you know why they did something.  My editor feels that much of this is either repetetive, or even redundant.  How could do this to me?  She has struck some very fine lines from my first two books.

As the writer in charge of my works, however, it is my prerogative to either listen to her suggestions, or to ignore her and leave in the passages I want to.  This, of course, is at my own discretion and any repercussions are mine, and mine alone, to deal with.  Needless to say, I usually adhere to her suggestions and cut the segments she has identified.

But I must say, when I re-read the edited works, I realize that she was right.  I guess that is why I pay her the big bucks.  Thanks Linka.

No comments:

Post a Comment