Translate

Thursday, July 17, 2014

Commercial Gillnet Fishery...

I have been spending a lot of time at the dock with my 8 year old granddaughter this summer.  She recently befriended two little native girls and their younger brother; and they have been fishing and swimming off my boat in the marina for the past few days (when the oil slick moves to other boats that is).

These new friends are living with their parents on their commercial fishing boat two fingers over, and I am amazed that all of them can fit on the boat (including two other children).  My granddaughter returned last night to tell me that they all sleep in one room on the boat that also has a small kitchen area, but no bathroom.  One of the girls mentioned to me yesterday that they live on the boat all year, and they are from a town somewhere up the coast.

The 'no bathroom' explains to me why I saw the oldest boy (about 5 years old) having a poop on his poopdeck, and the tiny brother (about 2) handing him the toilet paper.  They then poured the bucket contents overboard and both looked at it and said "oooooh, gross."

I have worked hard all my life and am now retired with a large Sea Ray, complete with two bedrooms and two bathrooms, and even though I feel I have earned everything I have worked for;  these people are hard workers too.  All I can say is that is is nice to see a hard working native family getting out there and working as hard as white people do - instead of lazily throwing their nets out across a river   (can't really call that working hard).

Anyway the mom dropped over last night and gave us two Sockeye for looking after the kids.  Super nice people but I wish they had a bathroom on board.  Oh well, I guess they can use the one up at the Marina Office.

No comments:

Post a Comment